Thursday, 8 March 2007

What to do?

Today, in class, we talked about the "terrible teens"... =/ Well, I don't think they are THAT terrible because I was one of them a time ago, but I'm afraid of dealing with teenagers nowadays, because I'll be their teacher, what I think it is a big responsibility.
Reading all the papers that professor Débora gave to us last week, I learned that adolescents are like that because their brains are developing and not because they want to act as they do - misbehaving for different purposes in class.
I'm worried about how to keep peace and order in class and, as everybody know, there is no recipe to address this issue. So, what to do???????? Acoording to Sulich (2004, p.11), some methods of keeping discipline are: keeping students' attention (provinding a clear structure for the lesson, doing many short activities instead of a few long ones, and using an unpredictable order when calling on students); establishing clear rules (grading scales and criteria, and rewarding for extra work); addressing disclipline problems (having nonverbal and verbal approach, and reacting to the disruptive behaviour). Well, I think these hints are very easy to have in my mind, but I am sure it's complex in practice.
For while, I prefer teaching children... But I am afraid and very curious to have adolescents as my near future students.
References
SULICH, Magdalena. English teaching forum. July, 2004.

No comments: